SKIN SERIES | Sunscreen Favorites 2017
I know what you are thinking, “How timely! A post on sunscreen at the beginning of September.” BUT I’m a firm believer in wearing healthy SPF year round so I would consider this post timely any season (and it’s still technically summer!). Before I dive into my picks, you might be wondering about my position on the sun. I favor the Nadine Artemis / Wise Interaction with the Sun model. Don’t be afraid of the sun, but don’t be greedy and scorch your poor skin. Exercise moderation and embrace protective plant oils and zinc oxide. Vitamin D is crucial for healthy hormone production and we are all severely lacking. (Seriously, my numbers were abysmal when I got tested in my mid-20s because I practiced strict sun avoidance to prevent sunspots and wrinkles, naturally.) That’s not good. I put SPF on my face daily, leaving the rest of my body unprotected, and spend time outside in the morning and late afternoon. If I'm going to be outside in the direct sunlight for an extended period of time then I'll apply sunscreen all over.
On to the good stuff, my SPF favorites:
- Heart of Gold Outer Sanctum Day Oil: This is my go-to sunscreen recently. I have been mixing a few drops of this oil into my daily moisturizer and applying the resulting creation to my skin. It's. so. gorgeous.
- Kypris Pot of Shade - I love this sunscreen for so many reasons. It contains a boatload of antioxidants that actually improve the appearance of your skin while you are wearing it.
- de Mamiel Exhale Daily Hydrating Nectar - Consider this the tinted version of Pot of Shade. It feels like silk going on and is absolutely brimming with protective antioxidants.
- Graydon Elements and/or Face Glow - Both of these are simple, effective, and (more) budget-friendly. Face Glow has the most gorgeous tint too!
- Marie Veronique Everyday Tinted Coverage - This is a great pick if you want more of a tinted moisturizer-type coverage. It's the least sheer of the bunch. Pro tip - it applies best over a face oil!
- Badger Organic Zinc Oxide Sunscreen - This is my face and body pick for intense sun exposure. Word of warning, you have to apply a little muscle to get this baby to absorb, but the coverage is worth it!
Any of your favorites that I missed? Let me know in the comments!